My Personal Essentials for a Remote Photo Shoot in the Mountains
By the time you read this we will have hiked for half the day to get into an advanced basecamp in the Bugaboos in Canada. The ‘Bugs’ are famous for giant walls, epic scenery and awesome rock. So, when I got a call from two of the best trad climbers in the world asking if I’d be interested in a week of climbing and shooting (on their mega-project) I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.
I frequently get emails asking what equipment I carry with me on our shoots. So, I thought I’d share a few essentials for this week long journey into the mountains.
- FStop ICU - In the Studio these ‘Internal Camera Units’ store lenses, cameras, batteries, and more. But on shoots these guys are lightweight protection for all of the essentials.
- Goal Zero Solar Power - The latest version of the Goal Zero batteries are lighter and more powerful than ever. We’ll be taking the Yeti 150 battery to charge our laptop and camera batteries.
- Black Diamond Hilight Tent - Lightweight with a nice vestibule. We’ve squeezed three people in this thing in emergencies. Hard to think of a better lightweight tent.
- Alien Bee Vagabond - We’ll be shooting some strobe shots on the side of the wall and this light/battery combo packs some of the best light for the weight. Plus if/when it breaks it doesn’t cost an arm and leg to replace it!
- Bulleit Bourbon - 1.75L of creative juice
- Macbook Pro — The 750GB SSD in this laptop will be one of our backups and allow us to review images.
- Phase One IQ180 — 80 Megapixels of awesome with a fast sync speed to boot.
- Nikon D800 & Zeiss Glass — When the weather gets soggy, or if we need something for low light we will bust out the D800. Hands down the best looking image coming out of a 35mm SLR today.
- EMS Mountain Light Sleeping Bag — A great down bag that is light and compresses down small.
- Travel Scale — We have several of these cheap scales and they go with us everywhere. Show up to the airport underweight and organized properly.
Wish us luck — and I’ll make sure to share some of the goods when we return.
- 21alexmusgrave21 likes this
- goalzero reblogged this from timkemple
- twipp likes this
- nomadicnotions likes this
- music-bicycles-beer reblogged this from timkemple
- suzaidee likes this
- homeschooltrackstar reblogged this from timkemple
- homeschooltrackstar likes this
- amberredfield likes this
- welttraum likes this
- fandhm likes this
- iwalkhills likes this
- milazzoill likes this
- planksorwheels likes this
- davidtribby likes this
- bearcamblog likes this
- alexaristei likes this
- chewylives likes this
- garrettgrove likes this
- ericmickelson likes this
- robtimko likes this
- jeremydreier likes this
- ilovecollinp reblogged this from timkemple
- timkemple posted this